Friday, December 18, 2009

Which product can I use to make my oil paintings very shiny?

I need to give my oil paintings that really shiny/oily/glossy effect. does anyone know which products I can use?Which product can I use to make my oil paintings very shiny?
Damar Varnish is what you want to use. Damar is a natural resin and the varnish is prepared by dissolving it in turpentine. You can buy it ready to brush on or in an aerosol can to spray on.


Make sure your paint is completely cured, at least 6 months.


Linseed oil will simply cure to a gooey mess. Damar has been used for many years and was developed for protecting oil painted surfaces.Which product can I use to make my oil paintings very shiny?
I have been oil painting for over 20 years, and the effect you are seeking I apply to my paintings. Damar Varnish or Linseed Oils are best used to give your painting a glossy effect.





Application:


There are two ways I usually apply the varnish or oil to the painting.





Method1.


I incorporate the application of turpentine and linseed oil to the brush I am going to be painting the painting with before loading it with paint. This allows the paint to loosen and thin with out losing it's body or hue. When applied to the canvas it helps in blending and drying time is manageable, plus it allow you to move the canvas about because the linseed oil and varnish will protect it.





The second method is to complete the painting and then with a separate brush something like one inch apply the varnish to the painting once it has dried. Usually it will take 2 or 3 weeks before an oil painting is ready for varnishing.





The Method1 maybe better because it allow the painting to dry while working. Plus you can add varnish to it once you finished method 1.





Don't:





Do not apply too much varnish to your painting once it has dried. It will cause your colors to dull you whites will become yellow or lumps will form if the varnish is not applied with thin coats.





Mitchell J. Dupre Sr.


Web Designer


Alpha Illustrations


mdupre@alphaillustrations.com


http://www.alphaillustrations.com



Try Linseed oil. It's almost like an oil based polyurethane for paintings. You can use it to mix with your paints as you work, or you can coat the surface of a finished piece. Very shiny. From my past experiences with it, you don't need much. I'd do a test run with it on an un-liked piece first to see if this is the effect that your looking for.





Hope this helps





Kimberly
Hi,





Raymond gave a good answer (I wonder why someone gave him a thumbs down).


I also use damar. Of course that no varnish is perfect and damar tends to yellow a bit with age, but it's removable and once in a while a bit of light helps oil paints recover their aspect.


But lets talk about the linseed oil (nothing to do with polyurethanes which I sell) used as varnish. Lets suppose that you used linseed oil in your painting (the most common thing) and when you varnished your painting with linseed oil something bad has happened and now you have to remove that oil.


So, you need a solvent to remove THAT oil which, unfortunately, is the same used with your paint. Are you guessing what may happen ?


That's why a varnish should be of a different chemistry of the binder used in the painting.





Kind regards,





Jos茅http://theartinquirer.blogspot.com



Any sort of oil varnish...preferrably made by Winsor Newton.
lacker

No comments:

Post a Comment