Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How can I make my acrylic paintings have more of the warmth and glow that oil paintings have?

Because of my living conditions, I cannot use oils, but I miss the beautiful glow that oil painting seem to have naturally. Please share any suggestions.How can I make my acrylic paintings have more of the warmth and glow that oil paintings have?
The best way I have found is to have a really warm-colored underpainting and to use lots of acrylic medium and paint many layers. It doesn't look as good as oils, naturally, but it at least has less of that flatness of acrylics. Also, I love to paint on rice paper - it seems to make the color pop. Not in the way oils do, but it looks interesting.How can I make my acrylic paintings have more of the warmth and glow that oil paintings have?
You should think about how you used oil paints very specifically. Glaze mediums, Matte mediums, and textural mediums correspond somewhat to the effects of linseed, stand, poppy, and safflower oil. Try using a gloss medium for a stand oil type effect
You are so right! Acrylic always leaves me cold. I feel sorry you cannot use your oils ; I would have to change the way I paint completely if I was forced to use acrylics. You'll never get the warmth you are talking about using acrylics so you might want to consider a new style of painting using the qualities that the new medium offers. There are good acrylic paintings but in my opinion they are rare.
You might want to try water-soluble oils. I have not tried them myself, but I hear that they act just like oils, but without the smell. You can use water to thin the paint and wash your brushed. I'm not sure what kind of meduim you would use with them.





They might be the ';best of both worlds'; for you.
  • opera ticket
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment