Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How do you clean oil paintings?

A friend of a friend has rescued an oil painting from the dump. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it's on crummy plywood but it's a very nice painting. My friend told the guy I would know how to clean it because I'm an artist. Well actually I have no idea because I only know about acrylics and watercolours. It probably wouldn't be worth paying much to clean it, but it's a bit grungy.How do you clean oil paintings?
well, if it is oil, you can clean it with a damp cloth soaked in water. it won't damage the painting since it is water, just dont rub too hard on the surfaceHow do you clean oil paintings?
Using water to clean oils may sound good, however, the water could get through any cracks in the paint and damage what has been used as a ';canvas';. If it's ';grungy'; but not worth much $ to clean it, I would suggest one of those sprays used to clean electronics. They have to be strong enough to remove debris but gentle enough not to do any damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment