Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How do most people work on oil paintings? Let them dry a few weeks & then return to them?

I'm a self-taught artist - don't always know the technical anwers. After I lay a background down, I let painting dry a few weeks - then continue - is thatthe way most folks paint?How do most people work on oil paintings? Let them dry a few weeks %26amp; then return to them?
The beauty of oil paint is that you can work in which ever way suits you.


I personally like the fact that the paint stays wet for a couple of days because then you can blend the colours and do it over a couple of days.





Other times you leave it to dry ( the background) and then come back to it later. This means that there is more flexibility to the painting although it might take longer to produce.





Acrylic paint just hasn't got the same shine at the end and it dries so quickly that there is not a lot of time for mixing colours on the canvas.





Experiment, it is the best way!How do most people work on oil paintings? Let them dry a few weeks %26amp; then return to them?
I don't lay my oil paint on too thick and usually paint wet on wet but will set it aside for a day or two if i need to add detail or build up layers, or i work on other parts of the painting giving the most recent painted area a day or two to dry enough but never completely dry. Most people i've painted for expect their painting in three or four weeks, six tops. So i had to learn to plan them out to complete at least seven to eight days before pick up. I am also a self taught artist and learned early that most self taught artist learn a technique and never deviate from that so they never really get to find out if something else will work best, experiment and have fun. My work can be checked out at hellosanantonio.com under artist name GUERRO1.
Hi,





One can work alla prima (complete a work in one session).


But that is usually not for the beginner.


Now, working in layers :


One works lean to fat i.e. as one advances through the layers, the amount of turps is reduced and the amount of oil is slightly superior.


It's important to wait for the former layer to dry. This can take from lets say 3 to 7 d ays without using any additives. And we're talking thin layers.


I use a bit of Liquin, which I go reducing as I move to the upper layers.


If the former layer is not correctly dry, the upper layer will dry much faster. What can happen is that when the lower layer starts ';moving/drying'; it may crack the upper layer.


After the painting is finished, I usually wait about 3 months and apply a spray of retouching varnish. Then after 6 to 12 months I apply dammar varnish using a wide brush.


A varnish that you can apply after 6 to 12 months is Soluvar by Liquitex. I've never used it, but the critiques are quite favourable.


And that's all.


If you have any doubt, I'll be glad to try to help you.





Kind regards,





Jos茅http://www.hushcolours.com
I don't let my oil paintings dry. But that's because I'm not patient enough to wait that long. ;)


I just work on it when it's still wet. But I'm a self taught artist too, so I don't really know what the ';correct'; answer would be. It probably just depends on the person.
the background should be dry before you start painting the foreground or any other objects like you are already doing. It is not satisfactory otherwise unless you are trying for a different affect. although I can't imagine how good that would look.
once the base is dry, you just use color as you see fit, you don't wait for the paint to dry between colors, oil paint is very thick like toothpaste so it does not run, and all colors are mixes of each other anyway.
i do it like that. yet im also 12 so i may not be doing it right.


paint help: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080430211416AAzmTpL%26amp;pa=FYd1D2bwHTHzJLNgFe85RBmuNacbhfB8agO5IIhGfeSiUQ--%26amp;paid=asked%26amp;msgr_status=
I think its so more layers can be laid down on the foundation to add more texture and what not.
  • opera ticket
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment