Friday, December 18, 2009

Oil Paintings: How much should I charge per commission?

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on this:





I'm a student at an art college, and I'm pretty good at painting with oils. I painted for my mom a 9x9'; canvas of my cat. She showed it to her friends, who thought it was awesome, and now they all want one of their pet!





I've been looking online and see prices of anywhere from $150 to $300 for a small oil painting. I don't want to rip anyone off, but some of my friends say I'm just being modest. Any suggestions?Oil Paintings: How much should I charge per commission?
While still an art student, a price of $150 to $300 is reasonable. Remember, you only want your prices to increase through out your career, so don't start too high!Oil Paintings: How much should I charge per commission?
Work out how long the painting going to take you to do and the cost of the supplies then work out what you would consider a good hourly rate….what your doing is more craft then “fine art” and as such an hourly rate is more applicable then a fixed fee……and explain the costing to the customer in advance to they appreciate why you are charging what you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment