Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Is retouching varnish acceptable as a permanent varnish on oil paintings?

I bought some retouching varnish to protect my paintings before I put on a final coat of varnish, but - is that really necessary? Is the retouching varnish perfectly acceptable as my final varnish? If so, why does anyone use anything else, given that you have to wait 6 months to varnish your painting?Is retouching varnish acceptable as a permanent varnish on oil paintings?
This is a VERY, very, good question. The reason being, many of us who paint in oil are either doing a commissioned work or are painting it in the hopes that it will SELL at the next show. It is best to keep in touch with the buyer (especially in the case of commissioned portraits) and return in 6 to 12 months when the paint has ';cured'; to apply a coat of genuine picture varnish to protect it against scratches and UV damage. BUT what if you sell at shows or a buyer takes the painting across the country and you will never see it again? I give my finished works a blast of spray on retouch varnish and let it dry. I tell the buyer to contact me in 6 months or so if they are local and I go and apply a coat of final varnish free of charge as part of my customer service. If they live far away I tell them that it would be wise to contact a local artist or art school and have them apply a coat of varnish. If they don't care enough to follow through I let the cards fall where they may and wish my artwork ';well met and farewell';...nothing lasts forever.Is retouching varnish acceptable as a permanent varnish on oil paintings?
You should only use retouch varnish if you're planning on repainting over a previously painted canvas. Personally I'm not a fan of spaying down paintings with varnish for any reason. Plus...It has the tendency to add a yellow glaze over top the painting after many years.Not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment