Friday, December 18, 2009

I have 2 original oil paintings back during WW2. How much do you think they are worth?

There is 1 original oil painting of General Macarthur and then there is another one of President Roosevelt. They were painted by a soldier artist at Fort Meade on army tent canvas. He signed his name, J. Vogelman and the date is March 1943. I can e-mail pics if anyone might have a clue of how much they may be worth.I have 2 original oil paintings back during WW2. How much do you think they are worth?
sure, send me a copy, i've only seen one pix of his so far, and the navy has it, it J means jack...I have 2 original oil paintings back during WW2. How much do you think they are worth?
nothing .. i can't find nothing on this guy.. i seems that he was a unknown artist. the best way to findout about your paintings is to take your paintings to someone that knows about art or findout when the roadshow is going to be around were you live.
wow...these must be really something. I had an opportunity to visit the MacArthur Museum in Norfolk, VA. and it was quite an experience (he was history in himself for sure). I am not an expert in art, but you may want to contact that museum there in Norfolk and ask them. What a piece of history you! (I'm a veteran, so these are great). Also contact the Smithsonian for advise. How cool was it that they were done on tent canvas!
sure, send me a picture of the paintings, Jonathan vogelman is what I believe his name is, and a student of Flagg's, Flagg was the guy who painted the raising of the american flag at Iwo Jima. The army had several embedded artists who traveled around with dignitaries like Macarthur and Patton, and a few full bird colonels. thye acted as correspondents to washington but in a less active roll than were the photographers who by the way were employed as far back as Custer's days as a major. I'm sure the museum at norfolk would love to see these.
Did a search for J. Vogelman. Actually found a navel painting from 1967 by a J. Vogelman. I doubt if this is your artist.


Below is a link that will direct you to the military museum system. They might know something.


If I had to guess, I would say your paintings aren't worth a lot except to a military collector. And even then not that much.


By the way are they any good?

No comments:

Post a Comment