Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How can I create a nice background on oil paintings?

It seems that no matter what you paint as long as you do a nice background on your painting. Unfortunately, I am not good at combining colors. I am doing a painting but cannot make up my mind about the best background composition for my painting. Can you give me hand on this?How can I create a nice background on oil paintings?
depending on what your picture is that your trying to create the background for you want it to exsentuate the main event in your picture. what i would do is exspirament with different backgrounds first on a small peice of paper than hold them up to your main event and see what one works better for the art peice. but when you work with oil paints you want to do your backgrounds first. just make sure its fully dry before you start your main event. it can end badly if you dontHow can I create a nice background on oil paintings?
You should always experiment and keep practicing with your colors. Let yourself go. Study other painters. Look at what they did. Matisse, david park, elmer Bishop...Look and see how they solved the problem of background.





Meanwhile do this...mix your colors on the pallet add some wax ,medium


not too much then get a painting knife and trowel it on the canvas..very randomly. then scrape it all off and let it dry for several days. Then paint back over it and allow some of the background to show through. It is fun, it leads to seeing shapes, space, and color, and gives great depth to paintings.





enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment