Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How can I get smoke tar off of oil paintings?

I have a painting (and also a print) that were exposed to decades of heavy smoking (3 non-stop smokers in the home). Can they be cleaned and can I do it or does it need to be done professionally? Where would I find a professional that does this?How can I get smoke tar off of oil paintings?
As a former picture-restorer I wouldn't suggest that you try and clean it yourself, soapy water is not a good idea.


Look in the telephone directory for picture-restorers in your area, or ask in the nearest municipal gallery for anyone they could recommend. It's not cheap but it could cost you a great deal more to have an amateur job repaired.








PS. Ammonia is very corrosive and will easily dissolve a paint surface.How can I get smoke tar off of oil paintings?
I'd take it in to be cleaned professionally. Depending on the value of the painting, you might feel comfortable taking some soap to it, but my guess is that even if you try you won't be able to cut through those years of grime and tar (which is killer to clean up anywhere!) the way a professional would. Look for independent frame shops in your area; some do restoration work and they should be able to point you in the right direction even if they don't.





The print will likely be a lot harder to clean as paper (unlike dried oil paint) is damaged by almost anything that touches it! Steam might get out some of the grime, but for that one DEFINITELY leave it up to a professional.





Good luck!


Rose


http://www.rosebriccetti.com


http://effartblog.blogspot.com
Just use warm soapy water and a light brush and use a swirling motion . Then sponge it dry to get rid of soap. It is an oil painting so water won't hurt it. I am not saying to submerge it in water or anything like that use a little soap and water . I would not use chemicals of any kind on it .
ammonia and q tips


if it is a delicate painting


place a small peace of tracing paper on the painting


hold in place


wet slowly with a q tip and ammonia


it worked in the sistine chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment